The following are not in any particular order. Some are tips gleaned from experience, some are links to the knowledge being shared by others, all have helped us get us from a standing start to a full content conversion and production delivery in under 4 months. We started with ~2450 topics of imported content, and managed to keep pace with the development team as well as cleanup and backfill the imported content. Quite a feat!
Working with Author-it
As we were converting a LOT of content from FrameMaker to Author-it, there was a LOT of cleanup required. Being able to customise the styles toolbar, adding in the most common used paragraph styles for example, was a huge bonus. We ended up creating one under the Supervisor login, and then each team member copied that to their installation.
Apparently Prompt for unsaved changes is turned off by default. We found this out the hard way, so click the big Author-it A and check in the options to turn this on.
JavaHelp uses the HTML templates, so if you provide customised HTML templates it will use those.
This next one might be specific to the way our development kit works.
To get context senstive help working you need to add the agreed string to the Context String field on the Help tab of the Topic Properties dialog.
We used this on some topics that will only appear in the help system, allowing us to create ‘landing pages’ which can then direct users to the most pertinent topics for the area of the product they were using when they launched the online help.
These are, by default, used in Chapter templates. To get better control of the layout of these (our issues were mainly with vertical white space, or lack thereof) we decided to not have any content in a Chapter topic. That way it is only used to hold/generate the MiniTOC and the next topic holds the first block of text for the chapter.
To make it easier to reuse topics anywhere, we switched our terminology slightly. There is no such thing as a chapter anymore, unless you have Word/PDF specific topics. We use ‘section’ instead.
The source of many a frustration, but that’s not really the fault of Author-it.
One thing I’d suggest you do first would be to figure out what macros you need and get them into the template first. Remember to configure the Publishing engine to use them as well.
We are using the following macros, all of which are available from the Author-it Yahoo Group:
- HyperlinkedTOC – creates links from the table of contents text, rather than just the page numbers
- RemoveCH – Removes the CH from the SuperHeading text
- ResizePictures – makes sure images fit the column width
- ResizeTables – make sure tables fit the column width
- SaveAsPDF – creates a PDF of the Word document
See how to Add an Author-it AfterPublish macro to the Word template for a simple set of instructions.
First place to head for information is, unsurprisingly, the Author-it Knowledge Center, it’s a replication of the entire documentation set plus some very useful Tips and Tricks and Workarounds.
After that, your next step should be the Author-it Yahoo Group. It’s active and full of hugely helpful and knowledgeable people and without their help I don’t think we’d have managed to hit our project deadline.
One member of the Yahoo Group, Rhonda Bracey, has published several excellent tips on her blog. Well worth a look.
And last, but not least, there is an official Author-it Blog which publishes product news, tips and tricks and other random stuff on a regular basis.