MacBook Screen issues

There is a dot on my screen. It’s not a small dot, it’s not a distinct dot so I guess it’s more of a blurry circle.

But it’s there, in the middle of the screen, glowing at me. It’s slightly worrying. It’s most noticeable when I dim the screen all the way down. On the MacBook you can use the F1 and F2 keys to decrease and increase the brightness. What the following photo tries to show is the screen set to minimum brightness (the next step down is completely dark/off).

MacBook Screen

Ignore all the reflections and screen dazzle, that weird glowing circle in the middle looks almost exactly like that (I’ve adjusted the pic very slightly to make it more obvious).

The most annoying thing is that it doesn’t always appear. It comes and goes on a random basis. I’ve tried it with and without the power cable in, with and without various applications open, I’ve restarted several times, yet still it comes back.

Any suggestions?? Anyone?

1. Matt said:

Okay, I may be completely wrong, but isn’t that exactly where the Apple logo is on the back of the screen, and might this have anything to do with it at all?

Look on the Apple forums otherwise. They’re always good for finding other people with the same problem, and/or a solution.

January 25, 2009

Ahhhhhhhhh never thought of that!

Have Googled, and did find a couple of things on the Apple forums already but nothing specific and, as it’s intermittent, it’s bloody hard to troubleshoot! Cheers though.

January 25, 2009
  3. graybo said:

Close examination of your photo reveals the truth. In the centre of the glowing spot are the words "John Peel". Clearly, the spirit of The Great Man Himself resides inside your MacBook and the glow is merely the physical manifestation of his aura.

Or something.

Alternatively, your MacBook is borked. But I prefer the first explanation.

January 25, 2009
  4. Peggy said:

Greybo beat me to it. I think your mac is haunted. If it is the disembodied spirit of John Peel then he will probably start making some of the stuff in iTunes a bit glitchy and you’ll find The Fall in any “genius” assisted playlist.

January 25, 2009
  5. mum said:

Easy, it’s the reflection of your halo.

January 25, 2009
  6. Matt said:

By “intermittent”, do you mean “only happens when the back of my MacBook is facing a window and the Sun is shining”? If this is the case, my hypothesis may be correct. 🙂

January 26, 2009

Matt. That’s so obvious! Will check at the weekend (next time I’ll be at home in daylight).

This could be really REALLY embarassing!!

January 26, 2009
  8. Becky said:

Hmmm… funny how it kind of looks like a blurry mirror image of an apple logo… with a perceptible bite out of the left side…

… yep this could be REALLY embarassing. 😉