New and Shiny

My new PC has arrived!

I spent a fair chunk of time last night un-installing the supplied software, and installing my preferred choices and all in all it’s pretty darn sleek, fast and quiet. Still a few things to tweak and tinker with but, by and large, it’s all setup how I like it.

I’m still using Windows, XP not Vista, and I’m still with DELL as the past 5 and half years have been largely hassle free. Of course I’ve future proofed things as much as I could (plus they had a double RAM offer, although that now seems a little ludicrous..).

For the geeks then:

• Intel Viiv Core 2 Duo Processor (2.4GHz, 1066MHz, 4MB)
  • Dual Channel DDR2 677MHz (4×1024) – they wouldn’t give me two 2GB modules.. buggers.
  • 500 GB (2x250GB) Serial ATA (7200 Rpm)
  • 256MB Nvidia GeForce 7900GS
  • Dell 20″ UltraSharp Wide Aspect Digital/Analogue Flat Panel
  • Audio Integrated HDA 7.1 Dolby Digital capability
  • 16x DVD rewriter (and I’ll slap my other one into it later on)

It’s Vista capable but given the widespread issues that seem to be multiplying daily, I’m holding off until later before, maybe, upgrading. It’s also the first PC I’ve owned that didn’t have a floppy drive.

Now all I need to do is get my cable modem to keep a connection for more than 5 minutes and I’m sorted… vaguely recollect that I need to supply the MAC address of the new PC to my ISP…??

So, as soon as I get my connection sorted I’ll be able to get on with the two site designs I need to get finished this month, and kick off some Scottish Blogs activities. And, of course, I’ll finally be able to catch up with all my favourite blogs.

1. Lyle said:

*shudder* Cable modems. Ick.

I’ll stick with ADSL – the router stays the same, and it’ll handle any new PC/laptop/mobile phone/PSP/wireless whatever in range.

Happy days. 😛

March 14, 2007
  2. donald said:

Pretty sure that you don’t need to let them know the MAC address any more. When I was with Telewest they removed that particular requirement early last year I think. Not that it mattered as my router was mimicking the MAC address on my PC in any case. You may just have been unlucky although I noticed the cable service going downhill before we recently moved outside a cabled area.

Good luck if you have to phone the support desk though.

March 14, 2007

Yeah, good point donald. I remember them telling me that now you come to mention it.

Well, hopefully, it was just a temporary glitch…

March 14, 2007
  4. Hannah said:

Now I understand the totally befuddled look Long Term Ex used to get when I tried to explain why a new pair of shoes was particularly amazing. It’s as much as I can do to turn my computer on…

March 14, 2007
  5. Blue Witch said:

Glad to see you still haven’t started to worship White boxes 🙂

March 15, 2007
  6. Peter said:

I got SO MUCH comment hassle when I bought a Dell a few months ago. People gloating that it wouldn’t last five minutes, and I’d never get it repaired when it broke after four minutes and so on.

One tip: don’t buy the care package. They phone you ten days after delivery and it’s down to half price. Hope not too late for ya, although I did bleat it on the bleurg back then.

Sounds a nice beast! Lovely. Agree about the Vista thing. Make sure it’s SP2, although that will arrive soon anyway on updates. SP2 is the one with the Windows MovieMaker 2.

See you at the Oscars, sweetie!

We all might, just might, be in the Scotsman and the Herald re mike’s latest wheeze. Major Scottish contribution.

March 15, 2007
  7. bob said:

Very exciting! I’m waiting for my mac to get out of iHospital. Don’t rush any designs on my account … I’m away on holiday starting next Thursday.

March 15, 2007

The problem with the cable modem is all sorted (I’ll write that up soon), and that’s been it. Nae bother.

And no Peter, I don’t EVER buy care packages, waste of money.

March 15, 2007
  9. Chameleon said:

I am all booked for the 19th May (the Hungarian will also be there) and am looking forward to the blogmeet. His verdict on your brand spanking shiny new machine is that it is really excellent and will be for the next six years or so if you’re not into gaming. If you are into gaming, its rating slips a bit, placing it in the good category 😉

March 18, 2007