Six by Nico: Best of 2018
A shorter review because, this being a ‘best of’ I’ve already written about these dishes and, for the most part, they were cooked and presented the same way.
Also they cheated by including a course from the Chippie which was a 2017 menu in Glasgow, but 2018 in Edinburgh, but given it remains one of the stand out dishes I’ll let them away with it…
The Best Of menu is voted for by the public on social media and competition was fierce. The options were as follows (my votes in bold):
- Chips and Cheese (The Chippie) vs Arancini Tricolore (Sicily)
- Lamb Kebab (Middle East) vs Buffalo Chicken (New York)
- Pappardelle Ragu (Sicily) vs Scampi (The Chippie)
- Sea Bream (Vietnamese Street Food) vs Cod Fish Supper (Chippie)
- Duck Duck Goose (Childhood 2.0) vs Pork Cheek Barbicoa (Mexico)
- Big Apple (New York) vs Limone Siciliano (Sicily)
And it turns out I wasn’t far off the rest of the voting populace, with the final menu being the following memorable and mouthwatering delights:
- Chips and Cheese (The Chippie)
- Buffalo Chicken (New York)
- Pappardelle Ragu (Sicily)
- Cod Fish Supper (Chippie)
- Duck Duck Goose (Childhood 2.0)
- Big Apple (New York)
Menu wise I can’t fault it at all. I was a little bit disappointed that the Pork Cheek Barbicoa lost out to Duck Duck Goose but given I struggled to choose between most of the options (Dish 1 and Dish 6 in particular), and the Duck dish was absolutely delicious I have little to complain about.
Worth mentioning the unvoted for snack option too, a wonderful basil pesto, cream cheese and crackers combo, chased down with a tasty little gin apertif to get the palate woken up and ready for six delightful plates of food.
The service was friendly and relaxed (the wonderful Stephanie entertained us as ever) and despite all that it offers, Six by Nico somehow seems to remain a bit of a secret; 6 courses of stellar food for under £30 and yet I’m still having to tell people to try it.
I do like the Best Of idea, it brought back memories of some very good meals and chats with my friends and, whilst we speculated as much as we always do, we are none the wiser as to what the next theme will be and that just makes it all the more exciting for the next visit.