The list of podcasts I subscribe to is ever evolving, so here’s a quick update. I’ve slimmed down the number of subscriptions a little recently, and found some new ones too.
Couple of things to note. As I’ve found more quality content I’m much more willing to listen to longer podcasts than I was previously, and because I always have a backlog of episodes I’m pretty free and easy with the delete button! The joys of choice.
So, in no particular order, here is my updated list of podcast subcriptions:
- 99% Invisible (subscribe) (website) – Design is everywhere – a weekly exploration of the process and power of design and architecture. ALWAYS fascinating and way more entertaining than it sounds, if you have any curiosity about the larger world, you’ll love this. Never EVER fails to deliver.
- The West Wing Weekly (subscribe) (website) – An episode-by-episode discussion of one of television’s most beloved shows, co-hosted by one of its stars, Joshua Malina, along with Hrishikesh Hirway of Song Exploder. If you’ve ever watched and enjoyed The West Wing, then this is for you. It’s irreverent, insightful, and funny. Two friends discussing an award winning TV show, what’s not to like?
- No Such Thing As A Fish (subscribe) (website) – The QI Elves discuss four random topics. Irreverent, educational, funny, rude, enlightening. A simple format that really works. I’ve definitely been caught laughing out loud at this one a few times.
- Song Exploder (subscribe) (website) – Take one song and break it out, artists discuss inspirations, production ideas and how a song becomes a song. Fascinating and has opened my ears to a lot of different artists.
- Reply All (subscribe) (website) – A show about the internet. And trained rats, time travel, celebrity dogs, lovelorn phone scammers, angry flower children, workplace iguanas, and more.
- Theory of Everything (subscribe) (website) – plunges listeners into a whirl of journalism, fiction, art, interviews, and the occasional exploding pipe dream. Host Benjamen Walker connects the dots in a hyper-connected world, featuring conversations with philosophers, friends, and the occasional too-good-to-be-real guest.
- Love + Radio (subscribe) (website) – features in-depth, otherworldly-produced conversations exploring all of life’s gray areas on an eclectic range of subjects, from the seedy to the sublime. Fascinatingly produced series covering all sorts of people from different walks of life. Can be challenging, uplifting, sad, but as an insight into the larger human psyche and the lives we lead.
- The Allusionist (subscribe) (website) – Linguistic adventures, a look at words, how they came to be and how they shape how we act and think.
- Clockwise (subscribe) (website) – Four people, four topics, tech/geek/apple fanboy tastic chat. Can be a little hit or miss but the fast pace helps.
- Canvas (subscribe) (website) – two full-time iPad users talk iOS and mobile productivity. Every episode has been full of useful hints, tips and apps but it is very niche so YMMV.
Hopefully some of these might be new to you, and if you have any suggestions you think I might like, please lemme know in the comments.
Also published on Medium.