I’m posting this in the vague hope it’ll help others, save them a few bob, and at the very least it’ll mean I have this info stored somewhere when I need to look it up again.
My cable modem was connecting, but dropping the connection after a few minutes. Rebooting the modem gave me the same result, as did rebooting the PC AND the modem. Annoying.
So I bit the bullet and phoned Virgin Media technical support.
Three minutes into the call (at 50p a minute I might add) I finally got put through to a young lady. After confirming that I had tried rebooting my PC, and switching the cable modem on and off again (with at least a 30 sec gap in between), she asked me to type open a web browser.
Open a web browser and go to – http://192.168.100.1/gscan.htm
Having done so (and I’ve NO idea what that’ll get you if you don’t have a Scientific-Atlanta WebStar Cable Modem) I was presented with a web page with some large numbers on it.
The downstream frequency and starting frequency were both set to 333250000, this is wrong so I needed to enter the proper value – 331000000.
So, enter 331000000 as the starting frequency, bash the “Click here to restart your cable modem” button and bob’s the brother of your mother.
You can reload the page to check the values ‘took’.
And no, I’m not entirely sure WHAT the values are but it worked a treat for me.
I also suspect it’s more to do with the switch from BlueYonder to Virgin Media than anything to do with my lovely, fast and shiny PC.